Common questions about the CHUST program


  • Who can apply for the CHUST program?

The students qualifying for the CHUST program have completed three to four years of their five year educational program. They are to graduate with the degree of Master of Science in Chemical Science and Engineering or Master of Science in Biotechnology. Both Swedish and International Students from the following programs are eligible:   

Degree Program (Students in year 3 or 4)

  • Degree Programme in Biotechnology (CBIOT)

  • Degree Programme in Engineering Chemistry (CTKEM)

  • Degree Programme in Energy and Environment (CENMI) - only the students following Chemical Science and Engineering (KEM) track are eligible

Master's Program (Students in year 1 or 2)

  • Chemical Engineering for Energy and the Environment (TKEMM)

  • Industrial and Environmental Biotechnology (TIMBM)

  • Medical Biotechnology (TMBIM)

  • Macromolecular Materials (TMMMM)

  • Molecular Science and Engineering (TMVTM)

If you are a registered student of any of the above programs, you can apply. Please note that all applicants must be students at KTH and not too close to graduation. You may not be or have been  enrolled in your master thesis at the start of the CHUST-project.


  • I am a KTH student, currently on exchange, can I still apply?

If you are a student of any of the eligible programs, you can apply. However, it will be your responsibility to get your Visa and complete any related paperwork.


  • What does an internship entail?

An internship gives you the opportunity to boost your professional career by trying a new job! During the CHUST program, your workplace is a university and your job is to participate in a research program.


  • How will my trip be financed?

The student is expected to personally finance his/her trip and living expenses. There are participating Universities that will provide a salary for the program candidate. However, some of the projects are not funded by the host University. The student can also apply for scholarships in Sweden. The CHUST committee will receive stipends from the School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health,  which will be used to support the travelling students who are currently studying at the programs offered by the school. However, if you want to receive the scholarship from school, you need to register your CHUST internship as a project course. You will be responsible for finding your project supervisor at KTH.


  • When do I have to apply?

The application period for CHUST 2019 is from February 1, 2019 until February 14, 2019 (5 PM). Any applications sent in after the deadline will be discarded. You can read about the application instructions and apply here.


  • When does the internship take place?

Normally the students work for 8-10 weeks during the summer holiday; the time varies between different projects. The working period can be discussed between the hosting professor and the student.


  • Where can I do my CHUST internship?

You can choose from the list of projects mentioned in the list that can be found under Projects (click here). We have top universities from both USA and Canada participate in this program.


  • What does my application have to contain?

The application should contain the following (in English):

Please be aware that the application will be presented to both the CHUST Committee and the hosting University. In case you are being nominated to a university of your lower preference, be prepared to submit an additional Motivation Letter addressing to the concerned Professor.

  1. A letter of motivation addressing to the Professor at the university of your FIRST preference, describing why you would be a suitable candidate. (Max. 1 A4.)

  2. A ranking of the projects that you are interested in.

  3. Your CV.

  4. A document from Ladok containing all courses passed and stating the total amount of points taken.

  5. A calculated average grade = SUM(grade * (amount possible mandatory credits)) / SUM(amount possible mandatory credits)), A=5, B=4,5, C=4, etc.


  • I am an International Master's student, do I need to submit my Bachelor's Degree Transcripts as well?

No, we require only your KTH transcripts, irrespective of the number of courses you have completed here.